Tuesday 28 August 2012

Animata First Test

I have been looking into interaction of crowds with video and have just discovered real-time animation.  Animata is "an open source real-time animation software, designed to create animations, interactive background projections for concerts, theatre and dance performances".  I followed the first tutorial and found it very straight forward - here's the result:




For a first try I don't think it's that bad.  I limited the number of triangles created to around 30 and a created the vertices a bit shoddily too which lead to the funny crease in the bicep when the arm curls.  More triangles/better vertices would make that much better.

You can control the animation by sending position information for joints, bone length etc. via Open Sound Control (OSC) messages.  OSC appears to be a standard messaging language for music/performance equipment similar to MIDI but richer and better.  Quartz Composer has OSC plugins to drive animations and other sensors can be used to including your own body using a webcam and Eyesweb.  The possibilities!!  I need to buy a projector and make an interactive cartoon puppet.  I wonder how a could create something I saw in a Leicester Square cinema a bit like this interactive basketball projection from Po-Motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment